9.21.2007

Looking younger!

I just finished reading a funny article by my favorite journalist, Christopher Hitchens. His editors are trying to give him a makeover by sending him to a restorative/makeover resort, and this article is about his experience with facials, mud masks, yoga, etc. It's so funny. Here is his last comment:
"I also take the view that it's a mistake to try to look younger than one is, and that the face in particular ought to be the register of a properly lived life. I don't want to look as if I have been piloting the Concorde without a windshield, and I can't imagine whom I would be fooling if I did. "

Hmmm.... "properly lived life"...why do we try so hard to look younger?

He is a heavy smoker and drinker, so this is what he had to say about exercise:

"The trouble with bad habits is that they are mutually reinforcing. And, just as a bank won't lend you money unless you are too rich to need it, exercise is a pastime only for those who are already slender and physically fit. It just isn't so much fun when you have a marked tendency to wheeze and throw up, and a cannonball of a belly sloshing around inside the baggy garments. In my case, most of my bad habits are connected with the only way I know to make a living. In order to keep reading and writing, I need the junky energy that scotch can provide, and the intense shortterm concentration that nicotine can help supply."
Read the whole article here