7.10.2007

Poem on the Moon

This is my favorite poem, and I often think about it, when I feel so much unrest inside me. I can not understand where it comes from, but I just feel that energy needs to be released somehow and this poem gives me hope for my future:

"How do I find what life's about
Unless I venture farther out?
Something in me is not content,
Something affirms that I am meant
For more, and so I have to try
And see if somehow I can fly.
Going beyond the edge of things,
I may find out that I have wings,
Though they are of a different kind
Than birds, being mainly in the mind.
Whatever now I seem to be,
Yet more is to be found in me.

This poem is written by James Dillet Freeman, one of my favorite poets. Some, call him "a modern day Ralph Waldo Emerson", however, I just found out that he is also called "Poet Laureate to the Moon". I had no idea! I am inspired to find out this fact about him:

He has had his work taken to the moon twice, a distinction he shares with no other author. His 1941 Prayer for Protection was taken aboard Apollo 11 in July 1969 by Lunar Module pilot Edwin E. Aldrin, Jr. Aldrin had the poem with him when he made his historic moonwalk! Two years later, Jim's 1947 poem, I Am There, went to the moon with Colonel James B. Irwin on Apollo 15. Irwin left a microfilm copy of the poem on the moon.

Wow! a poem on the moon.


Image