5.19.2007

Packing


We are moving to a new place until we remodel our house. So I was packing today. While putting my books into boxes, I was going through them and reading passages that I had underlined before. Usually when I read, I underline thoughts that I like and sometimes looking back I wonder why did I underline certain sentences? It's fun to go through old books. Well, here are some quotes that I found tonight, I hope you like some of the sentences and maybe, in some ways will inspire, move & touch you.

"No man knows how bad he is untill he has tried very hard to be good. A silly idea is current that good people do not know what temptation means. This is an obvious lie. Only those who try to resist temptation know how strong it is. After all, you find out the strength of the German army by fighting against it, not by giving in."
Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis

"Life is a train of moods like a string of beads, and, as we pass through them,they prove to be many colored lenses which paint the world their own hue, and each shows only what lies in its focus. From the mountain you see the mountain. We animate what we can and we see only what we animate. Nature and books belong to the eyes that see them. It depends on the mood of the man, whether he shall see the sunset or the fine poem.
Experience by Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Is there a direction and meaning in lives beyond the individual's own will? Either we live by accident and die by accident, or we live by plan and die by plan"
The Bridge of San Luis Rey by Thornton Wilder

"Salt- the only rock we eat - has mad a glittering, ofthen surprising contirbution to the history of humankind.
As generals from George Washington to Napoleon discovered, war without salt is a desperate situation. In Napoleon's retreat from Russia, thousands dies form inor wounds because the army lacked salt for disinfectants."

Salt, a world history by Mark Kurlansky